The software utilizes a core GIS system (ArcGIS 9.1) and an application as a specific vertical extension of ArcMap for the management of road/highway networks. The core GIS application is a market standard, while ArcUtilities Strade, an application for the management of the Highways Register, has been developed in full compatibility with regional standards and in compliance with the Ministerial Directive of 06/01/01: "Methods for establishing and updating the Highways Register".
The software allows the automatic insertion, consultation, visualization, continuous updating and export in different formats of the managed information.
In particular, the main functionalities specific to ArcUtilities comprise:
- Highways Register Management according to Ministerial Directives and CEN standards;
- Topological Network Management (network editing and complete 3D path management);
- Editing and managing segmented attributes;
- Import and Export Management in GDF format;
- Management of documents, photographs and films to be associated with networks;
- Manage routes and referral systems with administrative and nominal section;
- Parameterization of the type of objects (events) and associated information.
The movie viewer window allows the user to:
- pause, fast forward/reverse, frame forward/reverse actions;
- activate/deactivate playback for each camera;
- maximize one of the cameras,
Playback of the video can be represented with a flashing dot on the map for easy identification of the point corresponding to the displayed images.
The application enables the user to obtain alphanumeric reports and detailed graphs, with prints also in scale and to intervene directly on the geodatabase with functions that allow the updating in real time of the data and therefore of the items.
Updating the data, both the graph and the associated attributes, allows the user to simplify and automate these operations.
All surveyed entities can be positioned using the traditional reference system of nominal roads on the route. Alternatively, user-defined reference systems (odometry, constructions) are available. The positioning tools allow you to position and insert new elements of a layer, on the current path, using four different progressive systems:
- Geometric Section: calculated by the software based on the geometry of the three-dimensional route;
- "Marker” Section: calculated by the software on the basis of the mileage (nominal roads) of the mile markers.
- Odometric Section: calculated by the software on the basis of odometric roads associated with the elements detected on the network.
- “Asset” Section: calculated by the software on the basis of the nominal sections associated with the elements surveyed on the network (bridges, viaducts, tunnels, etc.)
Using the positioning system based on a reference system, the software also returns the sections in the remaining reference systems facilitating the "reading" of the road structure.
Finally, the software is provided with a Web extension, for the publication and consultation on intranet/internet of the geodatabases.
Arcutilities has been developed for DBMS Oracle, the product most used in Public Administrations, but it also supports Microsoft databases, namely SQL-Server and Access.